And since I was lucky enough to have the exact fabric and the exact amount of yardage needed, I jumped right in.
I didn't want my skirt to be as full, and dropped yoke seams don't look good on me, so I used a straight skirt pattern I had, but added both length and width to the bottom. I used a "serger" stitch on my sewing machine to finish the edges of the ruffles. It took forever to feed the ruffles through my machine using that stitch, but I really like the end results. And it's always tricky to match plaid at the side seams, but I just took my time and tried to be careful--you know, act like a responsible seamstress.
But really, I finished this skirt in two days and I must say I love it. It swishes when I walk and feels heavy and warm like a blanket. A perfect skirt for winter. I considered calling it "The Winter Bustle Skirt" but "Winter Saloon Skirt" sounds more interesting. And it's perfect for an impromptu can-can. Not that I know, I'm just saying.
I saw you wear this on Sunday and wondered if you would think it weird if I copied it. I love plaid! I also love that you posed in the same position as the original picture.
ReplyDeleteLove it!!
ReplyDeleteVery nice, love that plaid... something I'm drawn to also
ReplyDelete