A Bit About Knitting

Here's the truth about my relationship with knitting: knitting draws me in with its appeal, then either bores me to sleep or provokes me into a fight about how expensive it can be. I always leave knitting feeling exasperated, defeated, and determined to leave for good.

But then it calls me and says sorry. And I always go back.

But each time I return to knitting, I learn a lesson or two:

#1--Don't make sweaters. Unless the sweater is intended for a baby, then just don't do it. You will need way too much yarn that will cost way too much money, because . . .

#2--You shouldn't use acrylic yarn. I know it's less expensive, but it's awful.

#3--Don't knit your sister a beanie hat for Christmas. She'll hate it, but she'll feel like she has to like it. It's awkward for everyone.

#4--Don't knit scarves. They're too long and boring. Knitting them will make you fall asleep. Just go buy a cute one at Target.

#5--Please don't attempt Irish Aran knitting or Fair Isle knitting or anything that resembles a Norwegian design until you are more experienced. Please.

#6--Do knit small things like mittens or socks. Because knitting mittens and socks don't require that much yarn, and you get to use double pointed needles. And using double pointed needles makes you feel special because the method is so old and tricky. You are accomplishing something your great-great-great-grandmother could probably do, but your next door neighbor probably can't.

So these are the lessons I've learned, and yes, they are personal. There are lots of people who knit lovely sweaters and scarves and Fair Isle cardigans, but I am not one of them. Not yet. So for now I'll stick to what natural fiber yarn I can afford and knit mittens and socks.

And knitting and I will love each other until the next fight . . .

1 comment:

  1. I disagree! The scarf is the only knitting you should attempt! Only then, after the boredom has set in and the sides are all uneven because of dropped and added stitches...you call your daughter and have her finish it for you!

    ReplyDelete