Oscar Night 2010: Costume Countdown

One week from today, my family will get together for a Sunday dinner. It will be just like any family get-together--except the Oscars will probably be on, and we'll all watch the show while we eat . . . in our costumes. Yeah, that's right--it's almost time for the Annual Palmer Oscar Night. Has your mother ever dressed up as the Queen of England? Has your little brother ever shown up for dinner as Ignacio from Nacho Libre? Has your husband ever borrowed an old military jacket and hat, put on an eye patch, and walked into a room as Tom Cruise from Valkyrie? Well, mine have. And you might think that's weird, but when it comes to Oscar night at my parents' house, it's pretty fun. And even though the show itself is always boring and drawn out and pompous, it's fun to watch for two reasons: the dresses worn on the red carpet and the Best Costume category.

Last year, my favorite dress was worn by the French actress Marion Cotillard. It was royal blue and black and sparkly. I loved it.


And Best Costume was won by Micheal O'Connor for The Duchess-- which wasn't the best movie, but it had dozens of gorgeous Georgian costumes (one of my favorite time periods in women's fashions.) This outfit was my favorite:

But the real excitement of Oscar Night is dressing up. Anything goes, as long as it's movie-ish. Two years ago I made a green satin thirties-style dress in honor of the green dress worn by Keira Knightley in Atonement. Last year I dressed up as Angelina Jolie's character from The Changeling. I didn't see either of those movies, but it didn't matter, because they made great costumes. This year, I'm dressing up as Irene Adler from Sherlock Holmes. I wish I could recreate her magenta bustle dress, but I will have to settle for another scene in which she wears breeches--or knickers, whatever you want to call them.

So stay tuned--I will update you on my costume and let you know what I think about the Best Costume category this year--because although I didn't see Nine (yuckers), I did see Bright Star and Coco Before Chanel. And The Young Victoria? I think that will be the winner--who can compete with a queen's wardrobe or Rupert Friend . . . in breeches?


No comments:

Post a Comment