Pattern Review: Butterick 5661 Jack O'Lantern

This year for Halloween, Abby wanted a Jack O'Lantern costume for McKenna's first Halloween at our house. I think she's going along with my own Halloween rule: which is, every baby of mine must be a Jack O'Lantern for his or her first Halloween. So McKenna gets to be a Jack O'Lantern too. (Even though she's not a baby!)

I'm lucky that I had this old pattern by Butterick. I'm pretty sure it's out of print, but if you have it or ever come across it, I think it's great for Halloween costumes:


I've made the witch's hat and the Red Riding Hood cloak--both really easy and cute. But I have to say that this Jack O'Lantern pattern is now my favorite. It all came together from start to finish in about a half-hour. The pattern includes pieces for not only the body and hat part, but also the shirt, pants, and some fun booties as well. I just made the body and hat:



To make everything faster, I serged and hemmed the neckline and armholes instead of using bias tape. I also cheated and used felt and iron-on fusing for the face. I skipped the leaves on the hat. Abby already had a black shirt, and she had picked out the tights at our favorite local doll shop (along with the little trick-or-treating bucket and glittery green mask.)


So it was a fast project. But when it comes to a costume for a doll, I think it should be quick and easy. Actually, that's been my entire sewing mood of late anyways . . .


So McKenna is ready for the dolls' Halloween party and a night of trick-or-treating. Perfect for a doll's first Halloween at our house :)




No comments:

Post a Comment