Storybook Skirts and Superhero Capes

I've been busy for the past few weeks sewing a set of dress-up clothes for a friend. Normally I don't post about the things I make for other people, but my kids liked these skirts and capes so much, I've decided to share--mostly as a reminder that they could use some more dress-ups of their own.

I made three skirts, but Abby liked this purple skirt the best. (Note the chocolate stain on her shirt.) I didn't use a pattern because the skirt is so simple: just an elastic waistband and a ruffle. But what really makes these skirts cute is the woven ribbon I added at the bottom. Each strand of ribbon I used had a hint of gold thread, and so the ribbon really sparkles in the sunlight.

Here is the little pink skirt. I told Abby to tuck in her shirt to hide the chocolate stain.

I also made three lined capes in superhero colors--navy blue/red, red/yellow, and black/yellow. I didn't use a pattern on these either, but just cut out "cape shapes", sewed them together, and edged the neckline with bias tape for the ties. Pretty easy.

You could totally take flight in one of these:

I had so much fun making these simple costumes, that I think the family dress-up box needs some updating. And while Abby is pretty much over dressing up like a princess, I bet she would love a Laura Ingalls ensemble. And I didn't realize all the dress-up options for a boy. Besides superheroes, I'm thinking about cowboys, ninjas, and Davy Crockett.

The possibilities are endless . . .

2 comments:

  1. My little kids favorite thing to do when they have friends over is to play dress up. It entertains them for hours. Good job on your sewing, looks like the little ones have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my the possibilities are ENDLESS! Boys love dress up too, (speaking from a tom-boy's perspective) Cowboys, Ninjas, pirates, cops, capes, masks, etc! Oh man, now I wish I could sew! Make my boys some capes please!!! Very well done, and I love the purple skirt!

    ReplyDelete