Then one year when Abby was four, Santa brought Katie. She is a "My Generation" doll from Target--which means she is an American Girl doll knock-off. She came with cute accessories that were affordable--she's an equestrienne, so she has a riding helmet, boots, and anything she might need to take care of a horse. And Santa brought a horse too---Coco. Katie and Coco have spent countless hours playing with Abby and Katie always lets the other dolls ride Coco. Even Barbie gets to ride Coco (which bothers me, but try telling a little girl that Coco is too big for Barbie). Katie even used to let Abby ride Coco, until Coco started developing a stress fracture and I had to put an end to Abby's riding days.
So in honor of Katie being such a nice friend, she too gets a seagreen holiday dress. Which she will wear with riding boots. And since Abby loves Katie (notice she has blonde hair), I may just let the American (Girl) Dream go . . .
Except that the American Girl Company did an awful, awful thing. It announced that it was retiring forever the Swedish pioneer doll Kirsten.
What?! Ever since I was ten and first saw the American Girl dolls, Kirsten was my favorite. So in a panic, I may or may not have ordered her. And some of her terribly expensive little accessories. And maybe her St. Lucia holiday gown. With the matching wreath for her head . . .
Will Kirsten be allowed to ride Coco if she comes to live with us? NO. It sounds mean and selfish, but Kirsten will just have to watch the other dolls play. Besides, she's really for me. And she will know that she is too expensive to play with. And you know what? Katie will be just fine with that. She will rest assured that no way-too-expensive eighteen-inch-doll will ever replace her.

Retiring Kirsten?! I feel as if part of me is dying. Why do companies do that? Just to send us all into a buying frenzy and make those with an ounce of forethought (and a wad of spare cash) rich years later by selling the retired toys on eBay. Remember Giant Waffle Blocks, or Pipe Works. What to do?
ReplyDeleteOh...and I love your pictures!