One Arm Saloon Girl


My sister wanted to be a saloon girl for Halloween. So we went to a local thrift store and found this lovely but outrageously outdated prom dress. We went through my sewing stash and added a ruffle, some sequins, a little tulle, and some roses. She also found some feathers for her hair, some fishnet tights, and really cool lace up boots that look very 1880 (at the store, not in my stash. My stash isn't that cool). These pictures don't do the dress transformation justice--my sister looks great in the costume and she's really excited to wear it.

But you may wonder, why does the costume only have one arm? Because my sister recently broke her wrist in a horseback riding accident and will be wearing a wrist brace for Halloween as well. It happened all the time back in the Wild West. Cowgirls who were thrown by wild mustangs and broke their arms often found themselves in a quandary--they couldn't saddle their own horses or thread lariats. So out of boredom, they got dressed up and can-canned at the local honky-tonks.

Happy Halloween One Arm Saloon Girl! You're going to look great, wrist brace and all.




1 comment:

  1. Not gonna lie, I feel like you have been cheating on me with Kristin. Seems as though you two have been spending a lot of time together and if I did something wrong, just let me know. True, I have been ultra involved in pursuing my circus career, but I haven't lost my marbles completely, so just give me another chance to be VP of the Secret Sisters Society. On another note, I just cooked the most perfect eggs I have ever tasted in my life. Now I am going to practice toe touches. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete