Cat Ballou



Every year for Halloween my daughter dresses up as someone whom everyone recognizes--like Dorothy or Tinkerbell. This year however, she chose to dress up as Cat Ballou. You can see the problem this has posed when people ask her what she is being for Halloween because no one knows who Cat Ballou is. And how do I as her mother quickly explain that my daughter wants to dress up as an old Jane Fonda character from a 1965 western comedy? Because then that explanation would also have to include the why and how a six-year-old girl has come across an old 1965 Jane Fonda western comedy.

It happened like this: My dad tends to bring to his cabin odd and obscure western movies and then makes everyone watch them. The cabin is small, and we are a somewhat captive audience. The problem is that we are never allowed to watch the whole show--my dad just fast forwards to his favorite parts and plays them over . . . and over . . . and over again. Like "The Ballad of Cat Ballou"--everyone in my family has heard this opening song a thousand times, and when we are at the cabin and someone sneaks it into the DVD player, it immediately elicits all sorts of boos and moans and "oh my gosh not agains" from everyone in the room. Everyone that is, except Abby. She happens to absolutely love Cat Ballou. And this year she couldn't wait to plan her Cat Ballou costume.




It was pretty fun (and easy) to sew. I used blue gingham left over from her Dorothy dress and suede-like fabric for her pants. It didn't seem very fancy and I kept trying to jazz it up, but Abby wanted it just like Cat Ballou. All she needed to complete the look was a cowgirl hat, an ammo belt, a holster, and she was set not only for robbing a train, but for trick or treating as well. So in honor of Abby and one of the dorkiest movies ever, please watch "The Ballad of Cat Ballou." And then sympathize with my family for having to watch it so many times.


3 comments:

  1. I thought I would only have to suffer this ballad at the cabin... now it is on my computer in my own home! Ha ha. I love Abby, she is such a funny girl. Tell her I loved her costume this year and that she looks JUST like Cat! I keep thinking about Abby dancing to the chorus "creepy crawler" at the party over and over and it makes me laugh. I love my niece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much is all this sewing stuff costing me anyways??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that "angel from the outfield" did not show up at Family Fright Night as Mr. Darby. I know at least one mother-in-law who would have been in seventh heaven at the sight of Mr. Darby!! Keep this in mind for next year :)

    ReplyDelete