
Last June, two of my lovely aunts and my grandma flew up from Arizona to attend the 2009 Wasatch Quilt Shop Hop with my mom and me. While none of us are really quilters, we thought it would be fun to visit the shops to buy fabric and patterns. We also took the opportunity to stop by the most magical cross-stitch store ever--Shepherd's Bush in Ogden. When we stepped out of the car and were greeted by the warm smell of baking cinnamon rolls from the next door bakery, I think we started skipping to the shop's front entrance. A chime tinkled when we opened the door and the fairies who live there flitted away and giggled at us as they hid among the hundreds of cross-stitch samplers that line the walls from floor to ceiling. And to top it off, behind the cashier was a handsome photo of Mr. Darcy in a puffy white shirt inviting us to buy all we wanted and causing my grandma to giggle throughout the day about that Mr. Darby.
The point is, one cannot enter such a store and not buy patterns. And come to find out, it's really hard to attend the shop hop and not buy more patterns. And fabric. And more patterns. I think we all accumulated a lot of potential projects and we kept laughing about how we knew, deep down, that we'd never stitch them all up.
So as I recently cleaned out and organized my craft room, I thought how fun it would be to actually stitch through my stash of patterns and fabric. And although I've never been a big fan of blogs, I changed my mind and thought blogging could be a fun way to chronicle said creative journey. So despite my very young baby who cannot tolerate being put down, I pulled out an old cross-stitch project: Celtic Christmas by Lavender and Lace, and have used stuff from my stash to finish our Halloween costumes. It's amazing (and kind of crazy) how quickly a seam can be sewn before a sleeping baby starts to toss his head from side to side as he realizes that Somebody. Is. Not. Holding. Him. It will be slow going at first, but here's to you Mr. Darby, and here's to having some stitching fun.
Mr. Darcy (Darby) has got nothing on me. I look ten times better than he does in a puffy shirt! Except the puffy shirt that you made me for the poneer trek fit kind of funny - but as I always say "Every man needs a puffy shirt". I know you think men like to wear puffy shirts, and I'd have to agree.
ReplyDelete