Pattern Review: Heritage 1850's Summer In Blue Dress


For the "Year of Kirsten", I wanted to make a dress based on Kirsten's Midsummer purple polka dot dress. But I didn't want it to have purple polka dots. Would a pioneer girl in 1854 have a purple polka dot dress? Maybe, but I don't really like purple. I wanted a blue polka dot dress. So when I saw this pattern from Heritage Doll Fashions, I knew it would be exactly what I wanted.

But wow, this is one fluffy dress. It actually was really fun to make, although there was a lot of gathering ruffles. I don't really have any actual complaints though--the pattern is pretty much perfect. It involves a lot of sewing and not many shortcuts, but I especially love how all the seams are finished--everything is lined or binded leaving a very clean inside finish. I can't wait to try this in different colors for my shop (with Marie-Grace or Cecile in mind of course.)

I'm a big fan of Heritage Doll Fashions. Whenever I browse through the Liberty Jane pattern site (now Pixie Faire apparently), I'm always drawn to the Heritage designs--I just love them. So I highly recommend this one too.

I also made a little hairpiece for Kirsten's Midsummer celebration that clips in just above her braid:


Our Kirsten technically missed Swedish Midsummer, but that's okay. I'm so happy with her new dress, she'll probably wear it until Christmas. Or at least until Abby tells me it's time to change her clothes . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment