Meet Ivy

This is Abby's new American Girl doll. Her name is Ivy Ling and she is Julie's best friend. (Somebody was spoiled by her grandparents on Christmas morning . . . ) Okay, we love American Girl, it's true. Abby loves to play with her dolls and I love to make clothes for them. And we both love to read the books together. We just finished Julie Tells Her Story--yay!

But the really big news is that Ivy is wearing my first ever serged item. Yep, I got a serger. (Somebody was spoiled by Santa on Christmas morning.) It's a Babylock Lauren. It's supposed to be pretty basic, and I'm sure it is, but it really intimidates me.

I spent all day with this dress. I had trouble figuring out the thread tension and remembering the names and color codes of the needles and loopers. It was exhausting. But I finally managed to get it right, I think . . .

The dress is a pattern I sort of made up. My sister bought Abby a similar dress at a local doll shop. It was so simple, I thought I could copy it and so "drafted" a pattern. It only requires one cotton fat-quarter. I thought it looked like a go-go dress, but it kind of looks like a housecoat too, especially this print. Well, I was going for something with a seventies' flair. I'll be making another one or two with the serger for practice. I'll call them: "The Serged Fat-Quarter Go-Go Housecoat Dress" for dolls. More to come . . .

2 comments: