I've been wanting to sew some 70's style clothes for Abby's dolls, but 70's style doll patterns are a little hard to come by. I've asked my mom about styles she remembers and I've looked through an old how-to sewing book I have that was published in 1973 for ideas. But then I remembered that I have a few vintage girls' patterns in Abby's size. Yesterday, I pulled this one out:

I love that shirt with the bell bottoms. So by looking at the pattern pieces and how the shirt fit together, I made up a pattern for the dolls:

The sleeves on Ivy's dress didn't turn out quite right and are too full, but I'm totally happy with Julie's outfit. Abby loved it too. The bell bottoms are actually tweaked from a doll jeans pattern I tried this week, but more on that later.
I think Ivy and Julie look groovy. And now I just might be addicted to making doll patterns . . .
OK, I'll say it again! Enough with all the cool groovy stuff! You have not proven yourself as a true seamstress until you have mastered the colonial doll gown. And I just happen to have two lovely models for you to perfect the fine art of dressmaking on.Carry on.
ReplyDeleteVery cool and groovy. I really liked Julies outfit, I would totally wear that! Great job :)
ReplyDelete