Instead of having a great "en forreau" dress for my shop, or even a pattern review of the Thimbles and Acorn pattern I tried, all I have is a sad tale.
This is my borrowed Felicity--don't let that smile on her face fool you. She is only half dressed. I should have been smart and tried this pattern out first by sewing a muslin. But I hate sewing muslins--especially for dolls. No, I cut right into the fun 18th-century cotton print and started sewing . . .
Things were going well until the pleats in the back--that is, the actual "en forreau" part:
I'm not going to lie, those pleats were tricky. And while trying to get them just right, I unpicked a seam that was the gown's undoing. I ripped a big hole in the fabric with my seam ripper. Grrr.
So this dress is scrapped for now. And borrowed Felicity is returning to her home. So no more "en forreau" gowns for awhile. The pattern is great and the design is really appealing, but I'm giving it a rest for now. Besides, an "en forreau" gown is also known as a "robe a l'anglaise" (English gown), so maybe Felicity's patriot conscience wouldn't allow for such things. Although, the style is French and French fashion has always been the rage, so . . . maybe.
Oh well, on to another dress--a lavender dress perfect for Caroline. And with no sophisticated pleating in the back, I'm sure I won't have another sad tale to tell. Bye Felicity . . .
I bet it would have been beautiful. It seems like such a shame to waste such a beautiful fabric. Is there any way you could turn it into a Pelisse.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jennifer:) I think I will probably end up finishing it. Maybe I can redo the back and finish the petticoat and at least give it away. I really liked the fabric too.
ReplyDeleteIt kind of looks steampunkish without the middle. I think it's really cute! ;D
ReplyDeleteyou should have kinda put an underskirt underneath that would have looked cute
ReplyDeleteYes, the underskirt was all cut out too, but I lost steam in making it. Maybe later:)
Delete