When Abby was two, she found this cloth doll at The Quilted Bear. Since my mom was shopping with us and since she is a grandma, she bought the doll for Abby. We named her Molly Dolly. Ever since Molly Dolly has come home to live with us, she has snuggled with Abby, shared Abby's bed, and spent many hours playing with Abby. Really, she's not much to look at, in fact she's a little wackadoo (and so is her speaking voice--Molly has quite a distinctive tone.)
But Abby loves this doll and even though she is now six years old, Molly is still a beloved friend. However, for years now Molly has worn the same dress--a pioneer dress and matching pinafore. She's never had anything fancy to wear . . . until now. When I decided to sew doll clothes with the seagreen taffeta, I knew that Molly must have the first dress. She deserves it.
I used an old out-of-print McCalls pattern that is my favorite pattern for eighteen-inch doll clothes. The dress turned out really pretty, and when Molly saw it, she got pretty excited.
"For me?" she asked.
"Yes, Molly," I said. "All these years you've worn nothing but that shabby old calico dress. You need something beautiful to wear for the holiday season."
"Oh I do! I do!" she exclaimed, "I'll wear it to all of my fancy Christmas parties!"
Now if we could just do something about that hair . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment